Thursday, October 8, 2015

Northern Lights

I have lived in Montana for over 4 years now, but have never seen the northern lights. After hearing that they would be visible outside of town, I took off toward Molt when I got off ow work on Tuesday.

Now, this is my first time attempting to see the lights, much less photograph them. I did not have a tripod so I used the roof rack and tailgate of my truck in order to hold my camera still as I took long exposures.

The sky was a little cloudy so I did not see very pronounced coloring, but was able to see a beautiful green glow above the horizon. I'm not proud of these pictures, as with my limited experience with nighttime photography I was unable to capture what I saw. I am excited that I got some green coloring to my photos, even if it looks terrible.

This first picture is of where I was at, on the backroads between the farms outside of Molt, MT.


These next three pictures are my attempts at capturing the night sky and the northern lights.

 
 








No comments:

Post a Comment